Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong

“You were just worried about me." 
An exhale, relieved that I had understood. "Yeah"
I turned. "Because you think I'm worth it"
He put his fingers under my chin. "I absolutely think your worth it."
"But you don't think you are."
His mouth opened. Shut.
"That's what this is about, Derek. You won't let us worry about you because you don't think you're worth it. But I do. I absolutely do.” 



The third and final instalment of the darkest powers series picks up exactly where the second book left off, Chloe and the gang have arrived at the safe house and are planning how they can rescue the people that the Edison group still hold captive.

Once again I thoroughly enjoyed this book, Armstrong makes books that are easy to read and plots that you just get lost in. With many twists and turns and not knowing who you can trust, Chloe once again learns the hard way that not everyone is who they seem.

Chloe has really grown on me during the course of these books, at first she was a little too moany and too trusting of everyone she met (the problems of a sheltered upbringing) but now she doesn't run to the nearest adult for help, she learns to trust her own instincts. She also isn't the typical heroine we see so much of, she didn't wake up one day and have automatic control over her powers, even at the end of the book she is still struggling to come to terms with how strong she is, she doesn't run head first into every situation and knows that sometimes other people are better at handling them and maybe she is better just stepping aside.

I don't want to spoil the actual plot of the books, just that you'll find a lot more run/chase/fight/hide sequences in this book, but isn't that why we love reading them, Armstrong makes sure they are full of action and suspense that their is never a dull moment.

One little spoiler but I'm sure you all saw it coming a mile off, I know I did but Chloe and Derek finally admit they have feelings for each other. I love the dynamics of their relationship they both are able to call each other out when one makes a mistake and they've both grown and evolved as characters as a result.

Once again Armstrong creates a book with wonderful characters and an elaborate 'who done it' plot. I'm glad she left the ending open and I hope we get a chance to revisit these characters soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment